By Erma W.
The natural products explosion has generated multiple beauty avenues. Products that are marketed for the hair can be used for the skin, and vice versa. We buy many of the ingredients for these products online or in stores, but many of the contents are sitting right in our homes. For this post, I will delve into the ingredients that can be used for several beauty purposes.
1. Oils: Oils are known to nourish, seal in moisture, and add shine to the hair, but they also fulfill this purpose for the skin. Some of my favorite oils are jojoba, wheat germ, sweet almond, apricot kernel, coconut, and macadamia nut oils.
2. Butters: Butters are other types of hair nourishers and sealants that are also used to style the hair. They add a layer of protection to the skin during the colder months. For a smooth glow and removal of stretch marks, try shea butter.
3. Honey: This sweet, sticky substance is typically used to sweeten tea and soothe sore throats, but honey has multifaceted beauty roles. It is used for facials and body masks to promote even skin tone and soft skin. Some licensed cosmetologists, like Ashokia Lee of H.A.R.I. all-natural hair and body products, recommend applying honey to color-treated hair for moisture.
4. Baking soda: A staple in many households, baking soda is used for cleaning, deodorizing, and baking. Its beauty uses include being a face wash and hair clarifier.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar: You can experience the beauty effects of apple cider vinegar from internal and external use. Swallow one tablespoon to reduce acne and pour it (diluted with water) on your hair as a final rinse to seal your cuticles. Additional external uses: apply a small amount on a cotton ball and dab it on your face for use as a toner.
6. Bentonite Clay: This wonderful green powder packs a mighty beauty punch. Slather it on your face with water or apple cider vinegar for a deep pore cleansing. Many people also mix it (with apple cider vinegar, green tea, aloe vera juice, aloe vera gel, and/or oils) into a light paste and apply to their hair to clarify.
What multipurpose beauty products do you have in your home? How do you use them? Share below.