By Erma W.
Protective styles are a quick way to customize your look. However, some of the perceptions regarding protective styles are that they're time-consuming and/or difficult to create. Featured below are six DIY protective styles that even the most style-challenged hair lovers (like me!) can master.
1. Crown braid and bun: The crown braid and bun is a subtle chic look that is equally suitable for the after-work mixer and the midday business meeting. It's a great option for when your flat iron job has begun to revert, but you aren't quite ready to let go of the straight look. To recreate this 'do, gather some of your hair to the front of your head and begin braiding to the left or right. Stop braiding when you reach the base of your head. Take the hair from the other side of your head and braid it until you reach the other braid. Then roll the two braids together to form a bun.
2. The fishtail braid: If you're going for a sultry look, then the fishtail braid is for you. You'll be absolutely irresistible with this romantic look. Bring your hair to one side and start braiding. (That's it!)
3. Half twisted/half untwisted: Not sure what to do with your hair? Give the half and half look a try. This style is a must for those times when you haven't finished doing your hair, but you still have to go outside. Gather your hair and pin it. Repeat until you finish twisting your hair (or maybe just do this instead and forget about twisting your hair :) )
4. Bun: When all else fails, there's always a bun. Buns are quick options for dressing up or dressing down your look. Whether your bun is messy or neat, you'll always be in style.
5. Pinned-up twists: Twists provide an array of protective styling options, so enjoy and explore. Make your twists small or medium if you are going for a laid-back look, or rock 'em chunky if the mood suits you. For a dose of glam, add your favorite sparkling hair pin.
6. Bantu knots: Bantu knots--perhaps the simplest style of all. Grab, twirl, and tuck your way to casual fab. You can rock your bantu knots from the beach to the boardwalk. Go ahead: do the bantu-knot bounce!
There you have it: six DIY options for protective styling flair! Choose one, or two, or all!